Sea Service Experience Information ...
Sea service is a measure of a mariner's experience on the water. It may
be counted from age 16 and accumulates over your lifetime.

This experience is measured in 8-hour calendar days. Any day that you
are on a boat, had a position of responsibility (not a passenger), and
were away from the dock for more than four hours counts as one day
of experience.
  • One month is 30 days.
  • One year is 12 months or 360 days.

Sea service is considered Inland if the boat operated on inland waters
shoreward of the COLREGS demarcation line. This is a line drawn
between the ends of the jetties at the entrance to rivers and harbors
and is clearly shown on the chart.
  • Experience gained on ocean waters seaward of the COLREGS
    demarcation line is considered near coastal or ocean experience.

On commercial vessels that are operated on a two-watch system and
the crew is contracted to work 12-hour days the mariner may be
credited for 1.5 days of experience for each 12-hour day worked.
Documenting your Sea Service Experience ...
For your sea service to count towards a license you must be able to
document it. Sea service on vessels less than 200 GRT can be
documented using the
small vessel sea service form 719S.
  • Complete one form for each boat you are claiming experience on.

  • Read the form carefully and complete it exactly as instructed.

Sea service for vessels greater than 200 GRT is documented in a sea
service letter provided by the company.
Help using Form 719S ...
Section I is personal and boat information, and a description of the
body of water that the experience was on.
  • Use the name of the waterway to describe it, such as Columbia
    River, or North Pacific Ocean.

Section II is the record of underway sea service experience.
  • The top part is a worksheet to record the estimated days by year
    and calendar month.
  • The bottom part of this section contains boxes to record the total
    days entered in the worksheet.

Section III is where the signatures go to document your sea service
  • You and the vessel owner or operator must both sign the form.
  • If you owned the boat than you must provide copies of government
    issued ownership papers, such as a state registration or federal
    Certificate of Documentation.
Tips for Documenting Sea Service ...
Sea service is a measurement of your lifetime experience on boats, it is
never used up when you apply for a license and it never expires.

Always keep copies of all sea service records, you may want to use the
sea service again for an upgrade.
  • The Coast Guard has stated holding an MMC endorsement is not
    evidence of qualifying sea service experience.

Recent sea service is experience within the past three years.
  • For any MMC Officer Endorsement 90 days of the required sea
    service experience must have been within the past 3-years.
CPM Tugboat Logo
Columbia Pacific Maritime INC
Your Professional Captain's license School in Coos Bay, Oregon.
We are here to help you meet your professional maritime training goals.

Call (503) 841-6066 to register or for more information.
Columbia Pacific Maritime

(503) 841-6066         
Copyright © Columbia Pacific Maritime INC - All Rights Reserved
Find us on YouTube
Find us on FaceBook